Known as 'Granny Soup' in our house (it's my mum's recipe), this has got to be the quickest and easiest soup recipe in the world. Fortunately, it's also really tasty, and incredibly easy to remember.
1 onion, 2 pints of stock, 3 carrots. Simple.
1 large onion
2 pints (1 litre) of stock, made with 4 teaspoons Marigold Bouillon
3 large carrots
2 cloves of garlic (optional)
1 orange (optional)
1 tablespoon olive oil
black pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil over a medium heat in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the onions and garlic (if using) and cook gently until slightly transparent.
2. Peel and dice your carrots, and add to the pan.
3. Cook the mixture for the length of time it takes to boil a kettle and make stock. Add the freshly made stock to the vegetables.
4. Bring the soup to the boil, then simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Your carrots should be softening, but not mushy.
5. Puree your soup using a hand blender. You shouldn't need to add salt as the Marigold stock is quite salty (unless, of course, you've been healthy and bought salt-free. In that case, add away...)
6. Your soup is ready. If you want to add the juice of an orange, this is the time to do it - just before serving.
7. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve with Breadline Bread.