This recipe started life in a Sainsburys recipe book. It builds on the basics in your kitchen cupboard, and is a great one to pull out when cherry tomatoes are on a two-for-one offer. Frozen prawns are sometimes on special deal too, so buy them up and stick them in the freezer for the happy day when the tomato special offers come around.
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
5g unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 thumbsize pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 x 400g tin of peeled tomatoes
1 teaspoon of Marigold bouillon powder
1 pack of cherry or pomodorino tomatoes, halved (250g approx)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 x 300g pack cooked and peeled prawns, defrosted according to packet instructions
Freshly ground black pepper
Rice to serve
1. Melt the butter and olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic, onion, ginger and cumin. Cover and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. Run a sharp knife through your tinned tomatoes while still in the tin (for some reason they taste better than buying tinned chopped tomatoes), then add them and the halved cherry / pomodorino tomatoes to the onions.
3. Stir gently, and add the Marigold and sugar. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Remember to put on your rice.
4. Raise the heat until the mixture bubbles, then simmer for 10 minutes.
5. When your ten minutes are up, add the defrosted prawns to the tomato mixture. Simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes until the prawns are cooked.